Sunday, October 17, 2010

Burger Joint

   Jack nibbled at his chicken sandwich as he took in the crowded scene.  The Burger King was full of patrons and the long line at the counter indicated the staff was having a hard time keeping up.  Across the way, Montano, Moptop, Pov, and Bangknox sat a separate table.  Although Jack had arrived with the group, he hadn't wanted to force himself upon them and so had sat by himself to see how things would play out.  It seemed he would be dining alone.

   Jack finished his sandwich and decided to order something else.  He stood in front of the counter and waited for an employee to make eye contact with him.  Bangknox appeared at his side.  After gazing at the menu for a bit, she turned to Jack and asked, "What's that thing Riattz always used to get?"

   "Pffft," shrugged Jack.  Bangknox returned her attention to the menu.  Eventually, it was Jack's turn to order.

   "I'll have a Whopper Jr., no mayo," said Jack.  As he waited, the crowd around him was becoming more and more upset, and it wasn't long before a manager came over and started handing out vouchers to try and placate them.

   "I'd rather have you all satisfied with a free drink," he explained.

   Soon, an Asian woman appeared at the counter and signaled that she would take Jack's order.

   "Could I get a Whopper Jr., no mayo?" he said.  She stared at him.

   "A Whopper Jr., no mayo?" repeated Jack more loudly.  Again, a blank stare.

   "A Whopper Jr.?.....A WHOPPER JR.?!" shouted Jack.

   "Oh, I'm sorry, I think we're phasing those out tomorrow," she said apologetically.

   "Uh, do you have any more?"

   "I'll check."  While she walked away to talk to the manager, Jack considered getting a full-blown Whopper.

   She returned and said, "We've got one more.  This is the last one in the country.  Well, not all the Burger Kings, they..."