Saturday, May 29, 2010

Driving Problem

   Jack tried desperately to correct the course of his vehicle.  He had recently traveled this winding road, and on this his second run he'd thrown caution to the wind and had taken each turn dangerously fast.  As a result he had started to drift, and impossibly he was now moving sideways along the road, perpendicular to the flow of traffic, his car bisected by the center line.  Frantically turning the wheel as he faced sunset-dappled forest along the road, he knew that the next oncoming car would be unable to avoid him.  Glancing to his left, he saw a squad car round the corner.  In a panic, Jack careened off the road.

   Instantly the car was returned to the side of the road, the cop now standing sternly at the driver's side window.

   "I'm sorry, sir, I couldn't get the hang of that drift.  I lost it in the first turn, and just couldn't get back," Jack stammered.

   The cop was heavyset and spoke with an African-American accent.  "This is the fifth time you've almost killed me today!!" raged the officer.  "Well, here's your ticket!!"

   "Yes sir, thank you, sir," said Jack.

   "Now!!  Where can I find a Wal-Mart next to a Gap Kids?"

   Glad to have the subject changed, Jack replied confidently, "There's one back along this road.  I think there is a Wal-Mart in that shopping center."

   The cop stared awhile at the mall just visible around the bend and through the trees.  He began mumbling under his breath.  He turned sharply to Jack and said, "What?"

   Jack stared back.