Jack readied himself and approached Shark-Man. This was the moment he had dreaded, yet it was not unexpected. Though Shark-Man was most definitely a powerful adversary, the strange half-fish had somehow managed to exert a powerful paternal influence over Jack, an influence that muddied his senses. He was filled with an overwhelming and unanticipated sense of regret as he slowly approached Shark-Man at the end of the pier.
Shark-Man stared at Jack's approach through thick gray eyes. As always, his expression was inscrutable. Jack was unsure how to begin, and a short silence passed. Suddenly and without thought, Jack produced a red, tattered woven bracelet and cast it down onto the pier.
"I...I want you to have this," Jack said, tears welling up in his eyes.
"Thank you," replied Shark-Man calmly. The significance of this gesture did not go unnoticed by the giant fish. He knew Jack had woven the bracelet himself and that Jack was filled with sorrow knowing that the it would forever disappear under the sea. It was clear that Jack was having a hard time dealing with this fact, and the thought struck Shark-Man that Jack was perhaps more upset about the loss of the bracelet than anything else about this final meeting.
Filled with an overwhelming need to express himself before it was too late, Jack burst into tears and said, "I love you, Shark-Man."
"I love you too," replied Shark-Man. A knowing smile somehow flitted across the shark's face as he turned and walked into the sea forever.