Saturday, April 23, 2011

Strange Girls

   Jack and the others walked through the city.  The damp night air had not deterred patrons of a nearby restaurant from filling the outdoor section, and Jack turned his head left to watch a waitress ignite a flambe for a jockish young diner.  As the flames consumed the excess alcohol, Jack felt someone approach from behind and draw level with him.  It was a young woman, slightly shorter than Jack and quite attractive.  The jock noticed her too, and whistled obnoxiously from his table.

   "Hey, beautiful," he called suggestively, pointing to his flaming dish, "why don't you come over here and put out my fire?"

   "I would, but judging from your inbred face that's your sister's job," the girl shot back without hesitation, barely slowing her stride.  The jock's face fell and his friends laughed.

   "Hey, that was pretty good," said Jack, matching his pace to hers.  They walked on past the restaurant and down the sidewalk, falling behind the others in Jack's group.

   "Thank you," replied the girl with a smile.  She had short, slightly pink hair that bounced as she walked.  "So, where are you headed?"

   "Oh, just a few blocks from here.  I'm just following my friends to their place."

   "I'm headed that direction too."

   "Ah, then perhaps we shall walk together," said Jack.

   "Yes, perhaps," she said, again flashing a beguiling smile.  "I'm Myla, by the way."

   "Jack," he replied, shaking her outstretched hand.

   They continued talking as they neared their destination, and Jack felt more and more drawn to her.  She was cute and confident, but in a way that was completely genuine and un-intimidating.  By the time they reached the building, Jack had resolved to find a way to see her again.  Now only to find a graceful way to go about it.

   "Yeah, I guess I keep pretty busy," said Jack in an attempt to wrap up the current topic.  They were nearing the door now, and he still hadn't thought of anything.

   "Well, do you ever find time to go out on dates with strange girls you've just met on the street?" Myla said, casting him a flirty sidelong glance.

   "Oh, yes, absolutely," said Jack, taken aback.  "I think that...I mean, we could probably find some time."

   "Great," she said.  Together they walked into the building and stood in the lobby.  Jack's friends continued on further into the building, leaving the two alone.

   "What day?  Sometime next week?  How about Tuesday?"

   "It's a date," she said, smiling slightly.  She turned and glanced over her shoulder at Jack, and their eyes lingered on each other. As she walked away, Jack felt light.