"Who knows what was incorrectly stated about Mosart's wedding?" asked the lecturer. He stood at the front of the gathering space, near where the two large spaces met at a right angle.
"Ummm...the reasons for the marriage," answered Jack.
"Was Mosart a good husband?"
"Eh, he did okay," offered Jack, shrugging noncommittaly. The lecturer began to discuss Mosart's poor treatment of his wife
A while later, the reception began. Jack made his way from group to group, attempting to make small talk. While he stood near one such group, a friendly-looking man with a round frame approached.
"Nice to see you," he said.
"Likewise, Carl," replied Jack. A moment of silence passed before Carl shot Jack a significant look.
"You know, we were all expecting you to do an interview," he said with a gentle but accusing tone.
"What? No, no, I never said that!" Jack said indignantly. He'd been afraid this would come up, and he'd been preparing to quickly defend his position.
"Yes, we were expecting it. Kelly was really looking forward to it."
"Well, she shouldn't have been, I never said I would do it!" Jack struggled to keep his voice low. Carl's face hardened a bit as he made a skeptical noise.
"It would have been really good publicity for her," he insisted.
"I never said I would! God's honest truth, I never said it!" Carl simply stared at Jack.
"Carl, listen, why wouldn't I want to interview Kelly?"
"Well, she can be a little...excited...and tend to go on," admitted Carl.
"Uh huh, uh huh," continued Jack aggressively, "but don't you think I'd rather interview her, as a wedding present? Rather than getting her a $300 dollar gift?"
Carl paused and thought. He and Jack walked slowly away from the circle to another corner of the room.
"Yeah...I suppose..." Carl said uncertainly.
"Of course I would've! And how much was your gift, Carl? Fifty dollars?" sneered Jack.
"Yeah..."
"Pfff!!!!" Jack scoffed as he walked away in disgust.