Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Unwanted Date

   Jack fiddled wistfully with the small felt spheres.  The diversion they provided was not enough to pull his mind out of the dark miasma of the past, of things unsaid and of deeds undone.

   "I know what you're thinking," he said to Petunia before she could speak.  "It's more that I'm remembering the good times, from the past.  It's not a present thing."

   She gave him a doubtful look before walking away.  He turned back to the spheres.

   A few minutes later, Dingland walked up.  Jack didn't look up from his crouched position.

   "I got this for you," Dingland said, handing him a plastic bottle.  "For your birthday."  Jack saw that the bottle contained alcoholic cider.  He thought it was strange the bottle was plastic, but he was appreciative nonetheless.

   "Thanks, Dingland," Jack said, opening the bottle and taking a sip.

   "I've brought somebody else.  A date for you," said Dingland.  Jack looked up to see an plain woman with curly black hair round the corner.  He recognized it as one of the contestants from the show, but not one he was particularly attracted to, and he was in no mood to make small talk.  However, the last thing he wanted was to let his dark mood infect anyone else, so he decided to make the best of it.

   "Hello, nice to meet you," said Jack, forcing a weak smile.